Katy Gallagher on Optimism and the Australian Climate Change Bill 2022
"There is an optimistic mood that with commitment and clear action, we can and will make a difference."
Senator Katy Gallagher in her second reading speech of the Climate Change Bill 2022 in the Australian Senate said, "There is an optimistic mood that with commitment and clear action, we can and will make a difference.
"The Albanese Government has an agenda to do exactly that:
- Rewiring the Nation to modernise the grid, implement the Integrated Systems Plan and provide the country with more renewables, more transmission and more storage;
- Getting us to 82 percent renewable energy by 2030;
- A national electric vehicle strategy to increase access to affordable electric and hydrogen vehicles;
- A strengthened safeguard mechanism to get Australia's largest emitters on a gradual and predictable pathway to net zero, ensuring they remain competitive as the global economy decarbonises;
- A national battery strategy, to use our smarts and our international advantage in raw materials to not just supply minerals, but to build a domestic industry.